This post may contain affiliate links. At no cost to you, purchases made through these links may result in a small commission for The Migrant Yogi, keeping the website up and running – thank you!
My feet are suuuuuper sensitive to most shoes, and, as someone who prefers to explore European cities on foot (with all of those cobblestones), you can imagine how this could be problematic. During my trips I generally have at least one 20-mile day! I’m also not the most fashionable person in the world, so I usually only bring 1-2 pairs of shoes with me. So, in hopes of finding myself some more options, I reached out to some fellow travel writers to get their take on the best women’s shoes for walking on cobblestone.
Table of contents
- best shoes for walking on cobblestones
- fashionable shoes for walking on cobblestones
- sporty shoes for walking on cobblestones
- keeping your feet happy during long days of sightseeing
- pin it
best shoes for walking on cobblestones
fashionable shoes for walking on cobblestones
sanuk yoga sling
“These are my personal, all-time favorite sandal. Any Sanuk sandal, in fact, is what I live in come summertime. The sole is made of yoga mat and other recycled material, it almost has a tempurpedic feel to it. And the soft straps are great if your ankles are otherwise prone to blisters in strappy sandals. I can’t say enough great things about these – by far my number one sandal choice!”
Jade, The Migrant Yogi
- Lightweight, two-way stretch knit upper featuring Yoga Sling comfort
- Footbed made from real yoga mat with a sealed edge
- Happy U rubber sponge outsole
FOR MORE CRUELTY-FREE AND SUSTAINABLE ITEMS, CHECK OUT OUR BEST ECO-FRIENDLY TRAVEL PRODUCTS POST!
teva original sandals
“My favorite summer shoes are the Teva Original sandals. These shoes are cute, hip, and comfortable, which is definitely a necessity when traveling somewhere with cobblestone streets, like European cities. As a European, I’ve spend a lot of summers wandering through old cities and the Teva Originals are my go to. These sandals give good support, the straps are adjustable, and they are the only sandals that have never given me blisters. As a bonus, they look cute with anything from shorts to dresses.”
Sophie, Just Heading Out
- QUICK-DRY WEBBING: made from recycled plastic using traceable, verifiable REPREVE polyester yarn by Unifi The Universal Strapping System and earth-friendly recycled polyester webbing supports your...
- EASY HOOK-AND-LOOP CLOSURE: comes on and off quickly and gets the fit just right
- MOLDED EVA MIDSOLE: with heel cupping and arch cookie for added support
- RUBBER OUTSOLE: for durability and traction
- ADDED MICROBAN TREATMENT: keeps any smells at bay
teva flatform sandals
“Teva’s Flatform Sandals are an excellent option for walking on cobblestones if you want some added height. They come in classic black (as well as other solid and print colors), making them super-versatile for summer outfits. They have the support and functionality of the Tevas Originals, but with a little height for us shorties.”
Jade, The Migrant Yogi
- Casual platform sandal featuring strappy upper with hook-and-loop closures at ankle and vamp
- EVA footbed and platform for comfort
- Durabrasion rubber outsole for durable traction
“The Ugg Elings have lasted me four winters (and counting) of daily use walking around the cobblestone streets of Europe. They’re warm, waterproof, and fashionable – the perfect combination for women’s versatile winter travel boots. The shearling accent is both functional and stylish, providing a lot of warmth even without thick socks. They come in two different shades of brown as well as classic black.”
- Waterproof leather and suede upper
- Seam-sealed construction
- Gusseted zipper
- Molded rubber outsole
- 7mm UGGplush wool lining, insole and upper
“The Ecco Soft Sneakers are one of the best pairs of women’s shoes for walking on cobblestone. This aesthetically pleasing footwear comes with a beaded silicone sole and a comfortable and supportive insole.
Ecco sneakers are super soft inside and can be worn for hours. A perfect compliment to roaming the streets on foot. Through 15 countries and 3 continents and over 3 years of constant wear, they are still going strong.”
Haley, Haley Blackall
- A cool contemporary long-lace sneaker constructed from rich full-grain an nubuck leather for a light and soft feel
- A full anatomical last shape provides a supremely comfortable fit and wear
- Soft, comfortable textile lining, ensuring a perfect inner climate
- Leather-covered inlay sole with ECFS. Inlay sole is removable for the option of extra width
- Direct-injected, two-component PU/TPU outsole. A highly comfortable, hard-wearing, light and flexible sole
“One of the best shoes for walking on cobblestones for women are Ecco Bella shoes. They are great for walking large distances through cities, such as Paris, because they are very soft from the inside. Furthermore, they are not very warm when you wear them in summer, and at the same time, they do keep your feet warm in winter. Also, because of their simple design, they combine very well with any outfit.”
- Trendy slip-on style in smooth full gain leather and soft Nubuck with a comfortable on-trend thick polyurethane (PU) outsole.
- A combination of leather and textile lining for a comfortable feel and the perfect inner climate
- Leather-covered inlay sole with ECCO Comfort Fiber System (ECFS) for increased air circulation
- The direct-injected, one-component polyurethane (PU) outsole ensures a comfortable, hardwearing, light and flexible shoes
- Removable insoles
frye melissa chelsea boots
“The Melissa Chelsea ankle boot by Frye is an excellent choice for exploring the cobblestone streets of Europe in the fall. They are made of leather with rubber soles, with a cushioned leather insole for maximum comfort and shock absorbance while walking on uneven surfaces. They come in five different neutral shades to complement any outfit.”
- For over 155 years, Frye's iconic boots have defined eras, embodied social movements, outlasted trends and defied time. Frye captures the essence of timeless American style - the promise of a dream.
- STYLE AND DESIGN: A Frye classic, the equestrian-inspired design is a staple in every woman's closet. Whether you desire a pull on, zip up, or bootie, there is a Melissa for you. Choose between a...
- COMFORT: Leather lined for a luxurious feel, cushioned leather insole provides lasting comfort.
- PERFECT FIT: Medium width and true to size
“TOMS Apargatas shoes are a personal favorite for travel and walking on uneven surfaces, like cobblestone. They feature a thick enough sole that you have some support from the impact of rough roads, they collapse down making them really easy to pack for trips, and they can be dressed up or down. As an added bonus, TOMS is a very socially conscious company currently giving 1/3 of their profits to grassroots efforts that are driving change and progress from the ground up!”
Julie, The Cure for Curiosity
sporty shoes for walking on cobblestones
karrimor walking sandals
“I love my Karrimor Walking Sandals. The comfortable soles will keep your feet cushioned over cobblestones and the straps are entirely adjustable – perfect for long days exploring when you don’t want ill-fitting shoes rubbing against your feet. If you head out hiking, or they get wet, it’s no big deal as the sandals are designed to face the elements. Best of all, they’ll keep your feet cool in the summer too.”
Cassie, Cassie the Hag
- Ladies sandals
- Hook and loop fastening
- Fixed foot straps
- Ergonomic footbed
- Moulded grip pattern
sorel winter carnival boots
“If you’re looking for more adventurous color combinations (while still staying dry and warm), the Sorel Winter Carnival boot has you covered. They come in 11 different color combinations to complement anyone’s palette. Sorel boots are renowned for being durable, waterproof, and warm. These are particularly good if you’re visiting a cobblestone-covered destination that gets ample snowfall.”
- Have fun with your style this season with the SOREL® Winter Carnival snow boot.
- Waterproof nylon upper.
- Sherpa Pile™ snow cuff for added warmth.
- Easy lace-up design for a secure and comfortable fit.
- Seam-sealed, waterproof construction keeps out the wet elements for a drier, more comfortable foot environment. Removable 6 mm washable recycled felt inner boot. 2.5mm bonded felt frost plug....
salomon x ultra 3
“The Salomon X Ultra 3 is a lightweight hiking shoe that is not only comfortable but also waterproof and the perfect companion for all sorts of trips. This shoe is incredibly versatile and perfect for both long hikes as well as just day-to-day activities. The Salomon X Ultra 3 is an incredibly stable shoe with soles that seem to just mold to your feet. If you struggle with balance when walking on cobblestones, this is the shoe for you.”
Victoria, Guide Your Travel
- Foothold: a refined, women's specific last works with the reinforced top arm of the sensifit, holding your foot comfortably in place, especially moving downhill
- Stability and cushioning: An asymmetrical chassis designed to accommodate a woman’s anatomy maximizes stability and cushioning while minimizing fatigue on rugged terrain
- Grip: Two different types of rubber result in better grip. A patterned area on the heel grabs terrain more aggressively, giving you more control especially on descents
asics gel nimbus 22
“The Asics Gel Nimbus 22 is in fact a running shoe, but also the perfect shoe for city trips and especially for walking on cobblestone streets. I myself would not have thought that wearing these shoes makes such a big difference. No foot or knee pain, just walking and sightseeing – all day long.
The forefoot has plenty of room and the cushioning is top-notch. This style of Asics comes in a variety of color patterns, so you can wear them with almost any outfit.”
Martina, Places of Juma
- Rearfoot and Forefoot GEL Technology Cushioning System - Attenuates shock during impact and toe-off phases, and allows movement in multiple planes as the foot transitions through the gait cycle
- FLYTEFOAM Propel Technology - ASICS energetic foam formulation that provides supreme bounce thanks to a unique elastomer compound
- Trusstic System technology - Reduces the weight of the sole unit while retaining the structural integrity of the shoe
- AHAR Outsole - Acronym for ASICS High Abrasion Rubber. Placed in critical areas of the outsole for exceptional durability
“The Merrell Moab is a fabulous women’s hiking shoe that has survived the cobblestones of the Camino de Santiago as well as other streets around the world. The Moab has a waterproof liner for walking on rainy days without getting wet feet. The Vibram sole also keeps you from slipping on slick cobblestones. It’s comfortable enough to walk in all day without foot fatigue. These are the reasons the Moab is the most popular women’s shoe in the Merrell hiking collection.”
Karen, Outdoor Adventure Sampler
keeping your feet happy during long days of sightseeing
There are a few essential items I like to carry with me in case of foot emergencies while traveling. Band-aids are essential in case of blisters for those long walking days! Neosporin or another AAA ointment is also a great option if you’re prone to blisters or cuts while walking. If you’re staying in accommodations that have a tub, soak your feet after a long day, apply lotion, and put on some cozy socks. In addition to soaking your feet, these self-care travel tips will also come in handy.
Always remember to wear breathable socks and shoes in summer, and anti-moisture or anti-fungal if you know your feet will wind up getting wet. Happy walking!
Last update on 2021-07-21 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API